Friday, December 21, 2012

Angel Wings

For this year's annual Christmas cookie exchange with some friends here in Michigan, I found a recipe I couldn't pass up called...Angel Wings



I found the recipe in one of my favorite cooking magazines, the Food Network Magazine. These little cookies were so much fun to make and super easy. They are best when hot and fresh and taste a bit like those delicious funnel cakes from the fair. Only these have lemon zest added for some fresh zing. Love them.

 '
At last year's cookie exchange I was pregnant with Elliott. I love to cook and bake and to do that with Elliott would have been a dream come true. I can picture her in the kitchen with me, covered in flour and sugar, licking the icing and and sprinkles off her fingers. Maybe it's so easy to picture because recently I received this picture of my niece Ireland making cookies with my brother and sister in law. Ireland is a beautiful reminder of Elliott for us. When Elliott was born, she had the longest fingers and my mom said her hands looked just like Ireland's.




Angel Wings recipe (Food Network)
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup sour cream
4 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (I use more)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 cups confectioners' sugar

Combine the flour, sour cream, egg yolks, honey, lemon zest and salt in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. (or a hand mixer with 1 beater as I used) Mix on meduim-high speed until the dough comes together and begins to pull away from the bowl, 3-4 minutes. (if you use a hand mixer, you will need to use your hands to form the dough into a ball). Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Divide into 2 balls, loosely cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature, 1 hour.

Roll out each ball on a floured surface into a 12-inch square, about 1/8 inch thick. Cut each square into 7 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into thirds (you will have 42 squares). One at a time, make a 1 inch slit lengthwise down the center of each rectangle; lift a short end and thread it through the slit, then pull out and twist in the middle so it looks like a bow.

Heat about 3 inches of vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350. Fry 5-7 cookies at a time, turning until deep brown, 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Toss in the confectioners' sugar. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

For you sweet Elliott.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story Kim! And a perfect cookie recipe for your beautiful Angel!

    ReplyDelete