Thursday, February 9, 2012

Elliott's handsome daddy

I wanted to take some time tell everyone how wonderful my husband Joe is and how amazing it was to see him transform into a very proud daddy the very second Elliott was placed in his hands.

The day we received the news of Elliott's conditions Joe was right by my side, holding my hand and later holding me as I broke down completely as the list of complications seemed never ending. His strength that day was amazing and without him there with me I would have never made it out of the doctor's office. October 20th was the day we received the devastating news and each and every day after Joe continued to be a strong, loving, supporting and devoted husband right by my side.

As we searched for answers and we prayed for guidance, Joe continued to be right by my side. He never pressured me into any decisions but simply supported me 100% with all of the things I wanted and needed to do throughout the pregnancy. He went with me to just about every ultrasound appointment. Those appointments were so hard to go to, hard to see and hear about Elliott's conditions but he went with me because he knew it was important to me and he supported me. He never said no, or asked why I needed to hear the same things again, he just went with me because he loved me.

We tried our best to live out the days, weeks and months of the pregnancy as "normally" as we could. Some days were so normal, it didn't seem possible that we were faced with such a devastating fate. And those were the days that I loved. Joe would say so often "how's that baby doing" and we would spend the day doing whatever it was that we planned and Elliott was there with us through it all and we didn't focus or dwell on her complications. We just loved her and we loved each other and we spent another great day together as a family.

Joe's strength through all of this was so amazing to me too. He got up each and every day and went to work and worked hard. He accomplished quite a bit personally and professionally during this time and always came home straight after work and asked me how I was, how that baby was and spent so many evenings right by my side. So incredibly selfless with his time and so devoted to his work and most of all his family. There were so many nights he rubbed my back to help me fall asleep or just held my hand. Thank you so much honey.

There were so many days throughout the pregnancy that I daydreamed about Joe being a father to Elliott. This was especially the case after we would spend time with friends who have children. I would think about Joe holding Elliott, playing with her and rough housing with her. I would think about him gushing over how beautiful his daughter is and how Elliott would have daddy wrapped about her little finger. And I would think about how loving and caring he would be to her each and every day.

Since Elliott's birth, I think about the hour we had with her so much. Sometimes I do wish maybe I had done things differently like hold her more or say more to her, but I know that's just Satan trying to take me down in moments of doubt. Because, honestly I have no regrets about that hour with our sweet Elliott. That was Joe's hour, and it was beyond words to see him transform in to a very proud daddy. The doctors placed Elliott in his hands after the c-section and he was glowing. We both were amazed that she was born alive and he held her so proudly in his hands so close to our faces so we could see her and be so close to her. Oh she was so beautiful.Once we were out of the operating room, Joe continued to delicately hold his daughter. He was so careful, so kind. He gave Elliott a bath and combed her hair the best he could and it was perfectly done. He put a very tiny diaper on her that looked so big once on and he dressed his daughter in the softest purple and white dress. These were all first for Joe and he did them with no hesitation. He brought Elliott to my bed and we held her together as she was placed in the Lords hands. It truly was the best hour of our lives.

What I wouldn't give to have more time and more memories, but the ones we do have we will treasure forever and for me those memories are of an amazing, strong, supportive and loving husband and the proudest daddy who loves his daughter so much.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautifully written post. You and your husband seem like an amazing couple, and the perfect parents for one of God's precious angels. You have been in my thoughts and prayers constantly...may you continue to experience God's courage and peace!

    ReplyDelete