Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My storm

It happened and I wasn't ready.

I sat at my dining room table for hours this afternoon debating how to print Elliott's pictures. Should I use Shutterfly, Mpixs, etc or should I just jump into my car, drive down the road and print them at CVS. How many pictures should I print, should I print them all, should I print a few for now, what sizes, color or black and white, should I just print the 3.5x5 for the frame on Elliott's shelf that is still sitting empty.

I feel like I failed in so many ways.

And every time I look at the one frame in our bedroom that is still empty I feel like I've failed because there is no picture of Elliott in it.

I finally decide to go to CVS, and again I can't focus on what I"m doing which seems to be happening alot these days. I know it's part of the grief process but it makes me feel like I'm failing all over again, when the simplest tasks takes 3 times as long to complete because I can't focus.

I finally, after what feels like forever, make the decision to print just the one picture of Elliott that I really want right now. The 3.5x5 profile color picture to go in the frame in our room.

The photo kiosk is taking forever at this point too, taking too long to upload the pictures, getting stuck after I make the selection I want. There are two other customers using the kiosks next to me and I'm starting to feel anxious that they might ask me about my pictures.

The lady next to me finishes her order the same time I do and we both wait for our pictures to print. Mine has printed first but I didn't hear it and she goes to grab it and realizes its not hers. "Oh that's not mine, I don't have pictures like that anymore. Oh is that your baby?"

Yes.

"Your new baby?"

Yes

"Oh, how old?"

My eyes fill up with tears and I feel like my legs are going to collaps under me. I just don't want to say it out loud. I don't want to hear the words come out of my mouth.

She passed away.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." And she hugged me and said God bless you.  I sat back down on the chair and said thank you. It's ok. We're doing ok..... I lied. And I got up, paid for my picture and walked out.

I cried on the drive home, I cried in my car in my garage, and I cried inside my house and I cried even more when I realized I printed the picture wrong way. I needed it to be a profile picture and I printed it landscape.

Inside I just really want to scream, I am so angry right now. Angry that everytime I try to do something "normal" I am reminded that Elliott is gone, as if I need to be reminded. I go for a walk with my husband on Sunday, the first person we pass on the sidewalk is a lady pushing her baby in a stroller. Really God!

I go to the grocery store on Monday, I count 5 - yes 5 baby girls and 2 pregnant women. Thanks for that one too God!

Tuesday, I go back to the salon to get my hair cut a bit more and I have to sit and listen to two ladies talk about their pregnancies the entire time I'm there. Ok God, I really really don't know how much more of this I can take in one week.

And then, today happened. And now that I'm home, I'm angry that I didn't share with that lady about Elliott. I should have shown her the picture I printed and said yes, this is my daughter, Elliott Faith, isn't she beautiful.

I called my husband and cried to him. He came home early from work to be with me and he listened and he said it was ok. "It's ok that your just not ready."

7 comments:

  1. Oh Kim...let it out my friend....be angry and know that it is okay to be angry!!! Do not beat yourself up over what you think you should have done....You did amazing - you did show off your baby girl...that lady saw your beautiful Elliott in the picture and that is because you had the COURAGE to go to the store and print the picture. I am glad Joe was able to come home early and be with you. I love ya girl...anything I can do today, tomorrow or any day to help you through this storm - I am here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful guy you have... He's absolutely right. Grief has no timeline except the one the lives inside of you. You'll be ready when you're ready and not a second before. Love from your old friends - C & L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie said it best... thoughts of you... mandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in my thoughts each and everyday....and I want you to please continue writing your blog. Kim you have inspired me in such a good way!! Next Tues. will be my first attendance at a charitable group ("Threads of Love")at Oak Hill Church here in San Antonio. This group of about 75 ladies donate their time in making crocheted, knitted and sewn items for preemie and deceased babies & the completed items are then donated to our local hospitals. When I read your blog about the purple dress that was given to you for Elliott by the hospital it inspired me to begin my search and do what I could to help out is some way. So you see....your blog is a good thing and it is inspiring. I will be thinking of Elliott with each and every stitch I make!!! Love....Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunt Mary,
      Thank you so much for sharing with us that you'll be making items for these families, Joe and I are so touched to learn that Elliott has inspired you to do this. When we were given a dress for Elliott, it was more then just something for her to wear, it allowed Joe and I to do something "normal" under such unfair circumstances, to dress our daughter for the first and last time, it reassured us that she would be warm in her dress and blanket and it gave us a beautiful memory. We were also given a matching hat that we kept for ourselves. Please feel free to share about Elliott with the women you meet there. Threads of Love is a beautiful name for their group and so incredibly true for what you're giving to families like ours.
      Love, Joe and Kim

      Delete
    2. Ahhhh Kimmie...I'm so looking forward to tomorrow and doing my part to remember Elliott, you and Joe! I will share Elliotts story with them and I'm sure they will have their own stories to share with me. Like I said before "your blog is inspiring" so please continue to share your everyday life and it's struggles. Your story WILL inspire others!! Love to you....Aunt Mary

      Delete
  5. Sweetie, you didn't fail. We all face challenges in our lives, and we all face them when we are ready. You decided to get the pictures printed when the time felt right. No one can decide when you should do these things, it has to come from within. Please, don't ever feel like a failure, you have succeeded in so many ways! You loved your little angel in this world more in the months she was within you, and the hour you held her than some parents EVER give their children. You are a wonderful mommy, don't ever forget that. :)

    ReplyDelete