Friday, July 6, 2012

My Memorial Tattoo

I follow an online magazine called Still Standing, it's a beautiful magazine with contributors from around the world to inspire healing after the loss of a child, and those facing infertility. Many of the articles I have read have brought just that, healing. Whether in feeling less alone, or feeling safe to cry those tears I hold in most days, or even getting a smile or two out on a tough day, I'm a faithful follower. 

A few months ago the magazine did a tribute on memorial tattoos, and the pictures families shared were beautiful and I just kept thinking, what a wonderful way to honor your child. I also knew right away that that was what I wanted to do for Elliott.

On Friday, June 29th I got my first and praying to God my last tattoo. I knew I wanted to get her name on my foot and her foot prints. The tattoo artist Dale, asked me which was most important and I said it is her name. I felt so emotional when he asked me that question, because it truly is so important, her name. I also wanted those precious foot prints and he was able to get it all on my foot. He scaled her prints down significantly, but they are hers, her exact prints and pointing right to her mommy.

For sweet Elliott
Pretty sure I left grip marks on that table but it was all worth it.
My cousin Jill. She got her son's name, Liam, on her wrist, it looks beautiful as well.
Jill, thanks for going with me and giving me the courage to get my tattoo. You're a brave woman too and I love that we shared this experience together. I love you, I love Liam and I love my sweet Elliott.

5 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I didn't realize those were her actual footprints, how special!

    Love you all, Ab and Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmy- I have been on your blog since you posted this but I didn't see it until now! I love that you asked me to go and to be a part of your experience. I love our tattoos. I love looking at Elliotts footprints. Their so sweet. Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I've been on your blog, but when I read your entry about your tatoo and how important Elliott's name was to you when asked, it totally brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing, we love you! TEAM M,C, & I

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see her in Heaven, her face beaming patting everyone around her going, "That's MY mommy!" with this incredible look of pride on her face. :)

    ReplyDelete