Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Should we or shouldn't we

(August 2011)
Joe and I were out to dinner one night and of course the majority of our conversation revolved around our peanut. We were trying to decide whether or not to have the first trimester scan done. Initially we both thought no, why - what's the point? Neither of us have a family history of birth defects (to our knowledge) and right now my side of the family is just pumping out babies and all of them are healthy vibrant kiddos.

We discussed what we would do and how we would feel if the test was done and we received unexpected news. We openly and honestly talked about the possibility and if that were to happen we would love our little peanut that much more. It's definitely a touchy subject and a scary one to have as new parents. But, I'm happy we had the conversation. It took both of us to a place of vulnerability and opened our eyes to I think the first realization of how precious this truly is. We've created a little life and this is the first time I already feel like I need to protect it.

I don't remember if we decided that night or not to have the test done, but in the days to follow I scheduled the appointment. We both figured, why not? It's available and insurance covers it. Let's just do it and get it over with. Our minds will be settled and we can move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment